Thursday, August 21, 2008

Just some pretty photos from a solo-tour...



Not quite an S240 because it turned into a 3-day tour, but sort of in the same spirit. The point was to get out and just do it. I usually travel with my girlfriend but she's busy as all heck and couldn't come out to play so I pushed off solo.


It was my first solo trip and the thing I learned is that left to your own devices, it actually only takes about a day and a half before you start talking to yourself :)


In all seriousness, solo is a different type of trip. Very internal and retrospective. Good for clearing out the cobwebs in the heard, finding your self, etc.,



You can see the rest of the Flickr set here.

Anyone else have insight on touring solo?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great new blog!

Today is apparently Russ Roca Day over at http://rocbike.com. We linked to six posts and your slideshow.

All the best,

Jason from RocBike

Abhishek said...

that tour looks 150-ish miles long. I want to ride from Jacksonville FL to Cedar Key FL...about 150 miles too. The pics look great on flickr. So does the LHT. How long was your bike route and what part was the train journey?

RussRoca said...

The tour was 150-ish miles. I ended up riding about 50 miles a day.

I took an Amtrak bus from Long Beach (30 miles south of Redondo Beach) to downtown Los Angeles. From there, I took the Amtrak train from LA to Santa Barbara.

Then I rode south.

So, the first 1/3 of the 1st day was spent on the train. I came into camp a little later than I would have liked because of it, but that's how it goes sometimes.

Abhishek said...

Jax to Cedar Key is 145 miles one way. Mine will have to be more than a long weekend trip. No Amtrak though. Ironically, there was a historic rail line from Cedar Key to Fernandina Beach (north of Jax) back in the day during the Civil War!

Kwikfile said...

Russ,

I always wanted to ride to Ojai, Via train to Ventura first. Just to chill up there for a small trip. What do you think of Ojai? Would Fall be nicer heat wise?

Carl

RussRoca said...

Carl...I'm actually going to do that short over-night with my gf in about two weeks...

Fall would be great and spring too....avoid the middle of summer....thing is you have to keep in mind the shorter days, but I think that distance is only 15 miles, so no biggie...

winston said...

hey thats my town there, good old ventura. were did you camp in ojai? I'd like to ride up and do a S24O there.